March is Music in our Schools month and Comal ISD is proud to offer music programs at every campus and at different levels from elementary and middle to high school.
Whether students are just learning to play the recorder, singing in their elementary choir or taking advanced lessons on an instrument of their choice and competing in UIL band, choir or orchestra events, music education is an important part of their school experience.
In fact, middle school bands and choirs have competed in UIL concert and sight reading contests recently with great results. Several campuses earned the coveted Sweepstakes honors, which means the band or choir earned the highest marks or “1s” in both the concert and the sight reading competitions from each judge.
Middle School Choir Sweepstakes Honors
- Pieper Ranch Middle Varsity Treble Choir
- Spring Branch Middle Non Varsity Treble Choir
- Smithson Valley Middle Non Varsity Treble Choir and Tenor Bass Choir
- Church Hill Middle Non Varsity Treble Choir and Tenor Bass Choir
- CHMS Varsity Treble
- Mountain Valley Middle Varsity Treble Choir sweeps concert
- MVMS Varsity Mixed Choir sweeps in sight reading
Middle School Band Sweepstakes Honors
- SVMS Non Varsity Band
- PRMS Varsity Band and Non Varsity Band
- CHMS Varsity Band and Non Varsity Band
- CHMS Non Varsity Band sweeps in sight reading
For high school students, UIL competitions become even more intense with students competing to earn spots at the Texas State contest, which is scheduled for June.
Canyon Lake and Canyon High School students competed in the Region 12 UIL Solo and Ensemble Contest on Feb. 23 at Churchill High School in San Antonio earning medals and qualifying for the state contest.
Honors for CLHS students under the direction of Linda Frazier
- Stephanie Stoker received a rating of Excellent on her vocal solo
- Mia Aguilar, Avery Chappell, Madison Evans, Lyndsay Ford, Cazmere Garcia, Sophie Hamilton, Kaelyn Holman, Ashley Lanphere, Gabriella Lasiter, Edith Leon, Shelby Ludwig, Elric Osborn, Jenna Reed, Tea Serna, Abby Stanford, Grace Taber and Aubrey Wright all received Superior ratings for their vocal solos
- Alina Trevino received a Superior rating for her piano solo
- Destiny Brooks, Avery Chappell, Madison Evans, Bruce Hughes, Charles Kidd, Ashley Lanphere, Gabriella Lasiter, Shae Ohlenforst, Elric Osborn, Alec Perkins and Jolee Perkins all received Superior ratings for ensembles
- Seven vocal solos, one piano solo and two ensembles advanced to the state solo and ensemble contest
Honors for CHS students under the direction of Shareen Vader and Karla Cruz
- Danielle Bear, Grace Smith, Michelle Oakley and Emily Self received Excellent ratings for vocal solos.
- Jasmin Aleman, Anastasia Bernstein, Marisa Cantu, Ana Fuentes, Raely Gonzales, Brianna De Jesus, Montana Hunt, Alanise Maldonado, Emma Rosales and Madison Watson received Excellent ratings for ensemble performances.
- Taytum Dove, Sydnee Welch, Madison Watson, Myles Meyer, Delainey Main and Emma Grubbs received Superior ratings for their vocal solos.
- Danielle Bear, Lauren Beville, Samantha Diaz, Trista Marcoe, Michelle Oakley, Jessica Solomon, Emma Grubbs, Mackenzie Hayes, Lynsey Kirkwood, Edison Cottle, Emma Falcone, Madelynn Gonzalez, Megan Humphrey, Omar Mora, Abigail Morgan, Alan Ruan and Sean Schoonover received Superior ratings for their ensemble performances.
- Jasmin Aleman, Brandon Bartelli, Anastasia Bernstein, Jasmine Browning, Marisa Cantu, Samantha Diaz, Camille Dona, Victoria Etter, Emma Falcone, Ana Fuentes, Madelynn Gonzalez, Megan Humphrey, Georgina Leal, Mariah Mattson, Abigail Morgan and Abby Neill received Superior ratings on UIL vocal solos and qualified for state.
- Andrew Moberly, Dylan Hook and Ryli Brace received Superior ratings for piano solos; Hook and Brace qualified for State.
Photos from top:
-Smithson Valley High School Jazz Band performed during the 6th Annual Night of Stars.
-Church Hill Middle School Varsity Band performing during UIL Concert Contest.
-Pieper Ranch Middle School Varsity Band performing during UIL Concert Contest.
-CHMS Varsity Treble Choir